- Exploit the existing rail infrastructure and operate easily in areas orthodox trains cannot penetrate and exploit rail’s inherent energy efficiency
- Make rail a reliable, secure, cost effective, efficient and attractive option for the movement of high value, time sensitive cargo and consumer goods either in containers , swap bodies or as palletised cargo in the logistics variant as part of sophisticated JIT supply chains.
- Be aligned with shippers’ evolving logistic requirements
- Deliver and collect freight to within very close proximity of the cargo end user or shipper’s premises
- Be able to operate intensively (24/7) in a wide range of service applications.
- Reduce inter-urban road congestion by providing an attractive and cost competitive alternative
- Outperform road transport on cost over short, medium and long sector distances
TruckTrain® is designed to be cost effective in complex and demanding logistic chains (where rail is currently underrepresented) and to be cost competitive, attractive to a wider range of asset owners, operators and cargo interests and be unfailingly reliable, secure, and flexible and be environmentally superior to road-based competition.
It incorporates existing certificated rail technologies as well as relevant innovative materials, technology, systems and engineering from other transport domains. These are designed to support the very intensive and ambitious commercial and operational deployment targets of the trains in service and to wholly outperform road-based competition on merit and cost
TruckTrains® are short, fast, bi-directional self-propelled fixed freight train formations able to operate at passenger train speeds. Train sets can work in multiple in response to operational and commercial imperatives. Each vehicle is powered and all axles are powered to deliver the acceleration and braking required to achieve and to sustain this demanding level of performance. The initial configuration will use diesel-electric power to ensure freedom of operation over the national network. A hybrid design able to operate on electrified lines has also been developed together with an all-electric variant capable of extremely high-speed performance.